|fellowships and financial aid|
Applicants must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test, submit a writing sample consisting of 10-15 pages of poetry or 15-25 pages of prose, a completed application form, an 800-word letter stating the applicant's reasons for pursuing the MFA, and two letters of recommendation. All writing samples must include current contact information. Applications to the program are accepted throughout the academic year, space permitted. The bulk of our applications are received before February 15 (postmark deadline for assistantships, see below for more information) for acceptance to the following academic year.
Follow these steps to apply:
- Fill out the Graduate Admission Application (PDF) and return it, with a $50 application fee, to Eastern Washington University's Graduate Studies Office.
Eastern Washington University
Graduate Studies Office
Cheney, WA 99004
- To be considered for Financial Aid, file the standard Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Submit two official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the Graduate Studies Office. Students who have obtained their undergraduate degrees from Eastern Washington University do not need to request their transcripts. Transcript Request Form (PDF)
- Submit score reports from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to the Graduate Studies Office.
- Students from non-English speaking countries must present a TOEFL score of 580 or its equivalent to the Graduate Studies Office.
- Submit a Graduate Admission Essay, writing sample (include current contact information on all writing samples), and two letters of reference to:
Eastern Washington University
Inland Northwest Center for Writers
501 N Riverpoint Blvd, Ste 425
Spokane, WA 99201
- Submit Graduate Assistantship (Teaching Assistantship) Application to the Creative Writing Program office to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship.
More information on teaching assistantships:
As also explained in our Financial Aid and Fellowships section, teaching assistantships are available for incoming students. These appointments award the recipient with a full, in-state tuition waver and monthly stipend. To apply you must complete a Graduate Assistantship (teaching assistantship) Application and have a complete program application file before February 15th (postmark deadline) for the following academic year. Applicants for teaching assistantships, in addition to the Graduate Admission Essay, must also write a brief letter in which they describe their interest in and prior experience with teaching. Teaching assistantships are awarded after February 15th for the following year. No applicant can be considered for a teaching assistantship until all required material has been received. Note especially that in order for the department to receive the GRE scores by February, applicants must take the GRE no later than the previous December.
Eastern Wash. University
501 N Riverpoint Blvd
Spokane, WA 99202
Phone: (509) 359-4956
Fax: (509) 455-7252